Start Watching Netflix US Now in 3 Easy Steps
- Set up a VPN that worksDownload your VPN after completing the simple sign up process and then install it to your device. This will allow you to reach geo-blocked sites including Netflix US.
- Connect to a US server through your VPNLaunch your newly installed VPN and access the server list. Find one located in the US and connect.
- Start Netflix and choose your programIf you haven’t yet, sign up for Netflix, log on and you should be able to see the US library.
Help! I’m Using a VPN but Still Can’t Watch US Netflix!
If you’ve carefully followed the three steps above and still can’t watch US Netflix due to proxy errors, don’t worry. Follow these steps below to troubleshoot connectivity.
Connect to a different server located in the US
If you’re first choice of server in the US doesn’t work, it could just be because that particular server has been found and blocked. All you need to do is try connecting to another server and it may be the solution. Refresh your page and it might work.
Contact customer support
Sometimes all you need is the help of a professional technician from your VPNs customer service team to help you connect. Reach out to them and they will do what is necessary to help you watch your favorite shows.
Clear your cache
Sometimes even if you are using a VPN to spoof your location, you might still be showing your location through saved cached data. It could cause you to still get a proxy error. Clear your cache in the “Advanced Settings” section of your browser and then clear your browsing data.
You can do the same for mobile devices by opening “storage” and selecting the individual app cache (Netflix) and push delete.
Best VPN services that work with Netflix
- Best overall deal: 12 months + 3 months FREE
- Unrestricted access to Netflix
- Works in China
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7 customer support
- Unlimited access to video, social media, music, and games
- Connect to more than 90 countries
- Allows P2P/Torrenting
- Uses 256-bit AES encryption
- The fastest and most secure VPN
- Check more PROs here
1. Express VPN
You can enjoy unrestricted access to a worldwide internet experience by using ExpressVPN to hide your IP address. Their speeds are ultra-fast to ensure that you don’t deal with buffering or a slow connection due to bouncing around through different servers.
Open up blocked social media, streaming content, games, and websites that you wouldn’t normally have access to due to geo-blocking policies. ExpressVPN is so confident in their services that they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.» Back to the top ↑
2. Cyber Ghost VPN
This VPN boasts access to almost 6000 servers in countries all over the world. They use OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP-IPsec protocols with a 256-bit encryption to ensure that their servers are uncrackable and your information stays private.
You can use this server for up to seven devices from one account and on any type from an Android phone to a Mac computer. They offer a 45-day money-back guarantee on their service and you can reach their friendly customer support reps through their online chat forum.» Back to the top ↑
3. Ultra VPN
You can use this VPN for any type of device you have to connect to a secure server in another part of the world to access geo-blocked content with ease. They offer blazing fast speeds through a secure tunnel that keeps your browsing data and IP address hidden from anyone trying to gain access to it.
This VPN can be used to protect your computer on public WiFi and keep your IP anonymous while at home. Once you are connected to their site, you have access to hundreds of different servers account the world.» Back to the top ↑
Quick Guides: How to Watch Netflix US on Different Devices
Computer (PC or Mac)
- Download, install, and launch your VPN through your PC or Mac computer.
- Connect to a US server.
- Open Netflix and enter your username and password.
Smartphone (iOS or Android)
- If you have an Android phone, visit the Google Play store. If you have an iPhone, visit iTunes.
- Chose a VPN, then download it and install it.
- Connect to a US server.
- Go to the Netflix website and start watching.
- Important: Using the Netflix app can override your VPN settings and make it impossible to watch US Netflix. Use your browser to log on Netflix instead of the app.
Amazon Fire Stick
- Download a VPN app through the Amazon app store.
- Connect to a US server through the app.
- Go to Netflix and start streaming.
- Your Smart TV has its own app store. Find your chosen VPN app there.
- Install the VPN app to your TV and log in with your membership.
- Connect to a US server.
- Go to Netflix and you’re ready to watch.
XBox and Playstation, don’t support VPN apps, but you can connect separately. This is how:
- Share your internet connection with a computer connected to a VPN
- Use a router connected to a VPN app
For directions on how to do this for individual VPNs contact their customer support or visit their website and follow the outlined instructions.
FAQs on Watching Netflix with a VPN
Why do I need a VPN to watch US Netflix?
Netflix gives a different library to their subscribers depending on their geographical location. Copyright and contractual agreements with local cable providers make this a necessity. The US is the only country that is able to access the entire Netflix library, with other countries being significantly limited. There are several Netflix Originals that aren’t available in some countries. See this list to compare the availability of shows depending on country:
- United States: 5817 Netflix shows and movies
- Canada: 5728
- United Kingdom: 5712
- India: 5591
- Australia: 5357
- Japan: 4981
- Russia: 4884
- New Zealand: 4635
- Argentina: 4378
- Mexico: 4372
- Brazil: 4272
- Germany: 4052
- France: 3967
- Sweden: 3635
- Italy: 3603
- Spain: 3562
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix?
You can try to use a free VPN to access US Netflix, but the paid version will be a much better experience.
Free VPNs have restrictions when it comes to data and speed. This can cause you to suffer from constant buffering while watching your show. If you can connect to a US server, Netflix’s geo-blocking capabilities will be too much for free VPNs. Many of the free VPNs can’t even connect to Netflix!
Also, it’s really annoying to put up with the ads that come with free VPNs. Even though they are free to you, free VPNs still need make money somehow and they do this by placing ads on their servers. Do you want to have ads pop up in the middle of your streaming? I didn’t think so.
Ultimately, if you want the best streaming experience while watching US Netflix, you need a paid membership to a VPN. If you want to try it out first before you commit, most VPNs offer a risk free membership because they have a 30-day money back guarantee.
Is it legal to use a VPN on Netflix?
If you are paying for your Netflix subscription you can rest easy knowing that you aren’t breaking the law.
China, Russia, and Iran, have banned the use of VPN services. Keep this in mind if you live in these countries.
Can Netflix block my account if I use a VPN?
Even though a VPN can be detected by Netflix, Netflix won’t block your account. I will temporarily disconnect you from Netflix while you are using a VPN and it will give you an error message. You will be able to reconnect as soon as you disable the VPN service.
Since using a VPN is not illegal, it would make no sense for Netflix to lose out on the income from paying members who use VPNs.
Are subtitles available if I use a VPN on Netflix US?
Depending on which show you want to watch and what language you want your subtitles in will determine the availability.
What are the rules of Netflix in Europe?
There are no geo-restrictions throughout Europe.
In the middle of 2018, the European Commission’s “digital single market strategy” won and claimed “portability regulation”. This made it possible for all users in the European Union can stream from anywhere in the EU.
Why Getting a VPN for Netflix is Worth the Price?
The price of a VPN is relatively small, and you get access to unlimited great Netflix streaming experience. On top of Netflix accessibility, VPNs will unblock all geo-located websites for your use.